Learning to pass a rugby ball effectively and with purpose can make a huge impact to your game of rugby and bring so much more enjoyment to the game as it is a fundamental skill.
When Coaching young players how to pass it is important they learn the difference between the control hand and the guide hand.
- The Control/Power Hand – is the hand used to rotate and push the ball towards the target (the ball should always rotate in towards the body)
- The Guide Hand – is the hand in which the ball rests
3 Key Learning Points
It is always important to only use 3 learning points for young players. For passing the most important things to remember are;
- Pick Your Target – focus on the target and don’t take your eyes off it. Allow for the movement of the target, judge to pass in front of the target.
- Shoot from the Hip – rotate the guide hand in towards the body and push the ball towards the target from the hip, try not to take a back swing.
- Follow Through – the player should finish with his/her hand pointing at the target and the shoulders fully rotated.
Thanks to http://readyrugby.com.au for the above info.
Here are a couple of great videos to help with coaching the pass.
Do you have any good passing secrets or drills, feel free to share them and we’ll include them in this post.